Tuesday, February 24, 2009

50 Years Of Predator Hunting Wisdom


What do you ask a guy that has been predator hunting longer than you been alive?

I had to ask myself this when I decided to write about Walt Earl Sr. Walt has been actively working in predator control for over 50 years and at 70 years old Walt is still going strong.

Walt started his career at 19 years old as a government trapper. He held that position for 22 years. Then in 1980 because of some changes in government rules he decided to leave the federal workforce and turned his career turned to predator control for the private sector. That was 29 years ago. Today he conducts seminars across the country and Montana. He also conducts a hands on predator control school where he teaches his methods to students. Visit www.olcoyote.com for more information on the school and the product and calls he uses.

Some people might say why hunt coyotes? Over 10,200 sheep and lambs were killed in Montana by coyotes in 2008. On sheep alone, coyotes accounted for 67% of the predator caused losses or $700,000 according to the USDA News Release this month. This is more than all other predators combined!

The day I met him we drove to a local ranch that was losing calves to coyotes. As we pulled up to the ranch I looked it over and thinking where I would set up to call. Walt pointed out where he had patterned the coyotes that were living on the ranch. “The coyotes here are living in very close territories. The proximity of the territories is determined by the amount of food and cover available in the area. Obviously here there is a lot of both”. He pointed out the different places each breeding pair was and where they hunted.

Walt’s tactics are typically different than an average predator hunter. This is the way Walt makes a living and is paid to reduce the predators on a ranch. “Some fur hunters may not like that I hunt coyotes all year around” Walt shared with me. “I think if they were in my shoes having to make a living doing this they would probably do the same thing.” In my opinion I agree with Walt, I would do the same things he is doing if I were in his shoes.

I was here on Walt’s invitation which I sincerely thank him for. I wanted to glean some of the wisdom and knowledge that he has from the 50 years of chasing predators, so time to learn.

We checked some snares that he had set up and saw one female coyote sitting out above a fence where Walt had caught the “Dog” or male coyote. “She’s hanging out where I caught him a few days ago. “ Walt shared. As we neared the location we saw eagles circling and some magpies fly off. All of this told us something was in the snare. As we approached we could see that it was a snowshoe rabbit. Now we know an additional reason the female coyote was hanging out there. Between the coyote, eagles and magpies that were all eager for a meal there wasn’t much left. I asked Walt if we would call to the female. He told me, “90% of the time if a coyote sees you it won’t respond to the call”.

We went checking snares and set up for a calling session where the ever changing wind was making our choice of calling location tough. First the wind was blowing from the south, then switched to the north and then back again. Nevertheless we found a place where the wind was consistent and we set up for a calling set.

The first thing I noticed as Walt started his barks and howls on his diaphragm call was how loud my calling was compared to his. I asked him about this. He let me know, “most people call way to loud”, “I think you want to challenge a coyote but you also want to invite him to some see what you are, not scare him off”. He went on to say, “if you get an answer back, call a little softer, maybe not so course or tough. It’s like telling the coyote that maybe I’m not as mean and tough as I thought I was before he answered.” Earlier I had let Walt know that I archery hunted and he brought up this question, “What happens if you bugle and bull answers you, then you let out a big, mean, deep bugle, like you’re the baddest bull in the woods?” I replied, “Usually the bull will gather up his cows and head off in the other direction.” Walt let me know that it was the same thing with coyotes.

During the day we saw three coyotes and called in one location. “No sense in educating the coyotes and making it tougher for me tomorrow.” Walt shared. With the shifting wind and tough open approaches the coyotes definitely had the advantage this day.

Here are Walt’s top Common Mistakes hunters make when calling and tips on choosing a calling location.

Walt’s Top Five Mistakes
1. Most people call too loud (Guilty as charged)
Remember a coyote can hear a mouse in the grass so he can hear you calling

2. Don’t expose yourself to the calling area
Keep hidden using the terrain to shield yourself from being seen

3. Don’t park too close to the calling area
Park at least one mile away

4. Always be aware of the wind
Don’t set up and call if the wind isn’t in your favor. All you do is educate the coyote
5. Watch your own scent
Don’t wear cologne, deodorant and clothes with heavy detergent odors
“We here to kill the coyote not ask it out” Walt let me know

Walt’s Tips on Choosing a Call Location
1. Call any place
Sincerely these coyotes are smart and they can be anywhere

2. Locate coyotes
Hunt coyotes like you would if you were turkey hunting. Know where they hang out and where they live before you call to them

3. Plan your route calling route
When you approach give care not to be seen as you enter the area and look at the
wind as before you make your way into their territory. If it’s not right don’t do go into their territory and educate them.

4. Select the right call for the right time of year. For example;
December through March I use a bark and howl
June through August use the kiyi (but locate the den first)
September through November use the fawn in distress and fawn in distress with coyote giving chase

5. Shoot straight and don’t miss
Cause we all miss at some point.

As a predator hunter myself I had a couple of questions I had wanted to know the answer to…Here are my questions with Walt’s answers:

Q: If you get a howl or bark back what should you do?

A: “Don’t be the aggressor. Howl shorter or bark and yip softer. Don’t be the biggest and
baddest.

Q: Is it possible to get mange from coyotes?

A: No mange is only species specific coyotes to coyotes, wolves to wolves etc.

Q: Should you cover your face when calling?

A: I don’t, and none of the noted callers in the country like Randy Anderson, Les
Johnson, or Wiley Carol did. But I do cover my hands. Cause your hands are moving
all the time and the white on the back of your hands flashes from the movement.

Q: After you shoot a coyote should you let it lay while all the fleas and ticks come off of it?

A: I put them in a black plastic bag and spay in this stuff called Ortho Home Defense, it
kills whatever comes off them.

Q: Do coyotes use the same den each year?

A: No then use a new den each year.

When I asked Walt about calling he told me to remember that all coyotes sound different and there is no such thing as a perfect howl. So go out there and try. See what happens and learn from it. He told me that in 1976 he and the rest of the government trappers were sent a free Crit’r Call from Major Boddicker and he’s been using one every since. Walt produces some diaphragm calls he uses for barks, howls, and kiyi’s. They are very effective.

After spending a day with Walt I felt like I was the one who really benefited from taking the day to spend with him. It was a great day! Check out his website and think about attending one of his predator schools. I know I’m trying to see how I can fit it in my schedule.

If you’ve have any questions for Walt visit his website at www.olcoyote.com where you’ll find a place to send him an email.

Good luck and Shoot Straight!

Joe Esparza

No comments: