Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Bugling Bulls


I was out hunting public land for the opening weekend of archery season. The good news was I saw lots of elk; the bad news was I didn’t get one tagged! I did see one bull harvested, a 5x5 taken by a gentleman from Butte. According to him, “it came in on a string”, from his partners calling, “Just like Outdoor TV”.

I did see over 23 elk that weekend and of those 9 were bulls, two were over 300 points with the largest one pushing 330. This area is a general season area open to all those willing to put in some hard work and get out there and find the elk. If you look at the video I misspoke and said I saw 23 bulls I meant to say elk.

The elk were talking in the morning and in the evenings with not much in between. This should change as the month progresses.

If you don’t have a spot to go use the RAM maps to find some promising areas and take out your binoculars and spotting scopes and head to the woods. Be sure to use the elk distribution overlay Region 3 is in general over objective and has the largest herd of elk in Montana.

No comments: