Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Best Day on the Big Hole


One of our employees parents came into town and my wife was leaving on a early flight out of Bozeman. So we decided to float the Big Hole. I would get them started on the raft, then jump into my pontoon and fish for the day.

I tried about 8 different fly combinations before I hit the mother load. The combo that was making it happen was a yellow stimulator with more of a dark body than a yellow body and a prince nymph dropper in a size 16.

I ended up having a forty fish day! I caught rainbows, brookies, and grayling. It was a fantastic day with lots of hook ups and fish landed. My best day on the Big Hole! I caught little ones and 2 rainbows over 20 inches. The fishing was so hot I never stopped to eat or take a drink of water. OK I did stop once to slug a cold beer and eat a piece of friend chicken. I still was casting in my other hand. I just didn't want to stop to eat when the fishing was so fantastic.

I stopped and talked to a couple from Oregon, they had not hired a guide and were true DIY fisherman. They caught 1 fish and floated the exact same stretch of the . The secret to fishing the Big Hole is try lots of combos before you find something that works for you. I told them they had just made an investment on learning the river so tomorrow they could really hammer the fish. They were very excited. I showed them the flies that were working for me. I hope they did well.

I also got a ticket for not having a PFD on my pontoon. The two wardens were floating the river checking licenses and PFD's. So $45 later I was still up to my elbows in fish. As a matter of fact as I pulled out from where I landed to recieve my citation I landed a nice 14 inch rainbow. So don't forget to carry your PFD on your pontoon boat!

Here is a sample of some of the fish I caught!













No comments: